Monday 21 June 2010

Why I Think Capello Should Look To Rugby League for WAGS Protocol

Before the FIFA World Cup began I was undecided about whether Fabio Capello's WAGS (wives and girlfriends) ban for the tournament was a good idea. One part of me thought the partners of the players deserved to share in the event while another understood why it wasn't a positive thing for them to appear in the papers dancing on tables and buying up the stock of South Africa's premium shopping outlets.

But now that we have seen two substandard and grey performances form the English national team I have made a decision. I believe they should get the wives, girlfriends, children and extended families of Steven Gerrard and co. out there quick sharp.

To me (and I am no expert on football, but am an on supporting sportsmen) the camp has been turned into an office; the players into businessmen. It is ALL about football. Work, work, work.

I can only comment on the professional rugby league teams I have been involved with over the last 11 years, Huddersfield Giants, Leeds Rhinos and England, although I believe that the protocol is similar for all clubs in the Superleague. My husband has been into camp with all of these teams in the run-up to Challenge Cup matches, the Superleague Grand Final, the Northern Ford Premiership Promotion Grand Final (showing my age) and England's World Cup and Four Nations campaigns.

For all of these events the rules have been as follows: families are encouraged to share in the excitement, supports the team, enjoy the event, but at no time are they wanted at the team hotel, the players should only have time with their families when it is agreed in the schedule and at no time should they be showing themselves up. I can't think of a single rugby league WAG that I know who would even want to break with this arrangement. All we want is for our loved ones to achieve their dreams and win the match!

The families will often have a meal together before setting off to a big fixture, travel together, sit together and rejoice together in victory. If we lose there is no need for words, we just do a shruggy shouldered, miserable faced, defeated look at each other.

If the England 11 is bored, lacklustre on the pitch and disjointed looking perhaps I can offer a suggestion to at least give them passion and team spirit?

Let Wayne Rooney catch a glimpse of Coleen and Kai in the stand as the National Anthem plays and try and stop him dreaming of scoring that goal for his first son. Let Frank Lampard cross that ball knowing that Frank Snr, the driving force behind his career, is watching from the posh seats. Let the wives and the kids and the mums and the dads enjoy the tournament together and create their own camaraderie because it does rub off.

My WAG friends and I are off to Wimbledon for the day tomorrow. We've been looking forward to it for six months and have spent the last one of them FB-ing each other about dresses, bags and shoes for the occasion. We, Leeds Rhinos, are Superleague Champions and our camp is a happy one. Take a leaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment