Thursday 5 August 2010

Matchday Sausage and Other Challenge Cup Musings

I posted on Twitter earlier that my Challenge Cup Semi Final preparations had begun with getting my roots done and was asked if this was a big game superstition in our household. Well it isn't, it's just a big game preference, but that's not to say that match related rituals are not the norm at Chez Davo.

The gradually evolving requirements that must be met before a make-or-break encounter began in 2002 with the Northern Ford Premiership Grand Final. The husband (then boyf) was Conditioner at Huddersfield Giants back then and their promotion back to Superleague that year was, in some part, down to my carrying of an old dirty gum shield in my handbag.

The story behind this bit of grotty memorabilia becoming my first lucky charm is as follows: For one season (2001) Huddersfield Giants had an Aussie prop called Troy Stone pulling on the claret and gold. He was such a fleeting presence for Fartown that I couldn't find a decent photo of him playing for them so here's him in his Canterbury Bulldogs days. He was my favourite player that season.

When the Giants got relegated he retired and went back to his homeland. According to tradition (apparently) he buried his gum shield under the posts before leaving, but when my husband told him how I'd admired him that year he went and dug it up and gave it to me. So that's superstition one. It tends to work for me unless Huddersfield are involved in the encounter then it works against me. It is a confused little charm.

The second vitally important piece of the victory jigsaw involves our dog eating a sausage on the morning of the match. I don't remember when this started but it is more important than the gum shield. My dad (a 6'4" ex-detective) has been known to get on the floor and pretend to eat the sausage himself to encourage the dog, a toy poodle called Gemima, to tuck in. She has eaten the sausage on the morning of all three of Leeds's Grand Final victories. As the boys are usually away in camp I send Jason a video message showing it happening so set his mind at rest and OMG I've managed to find the clip!


For a while there was an emerging idea that Jason had to wear broken glasses with tape on them to boost chances of a win, but I think vanity has over-ridden this one.

So although my hair appointment was not part of pre-match superstition I will be partaking in other forms of hocus pocus before Leeds v Saints on Saturday. I haven't bought a new outfit for the occasion as I'm holding out for the end game at Wembley (gum shield willing). I've never been to a Challenge Cup Final and am desperate for the privilege.

Tonight the Leeds boys will be in camp so I guess I'll have to either substitute our Friday night take-away for a Weight Watchers microwave dinner for one or have a pizza to myself. It's all sacrifice round here. I guess I'll have to take one for the team again.

Follow me on Twitter @peneloperadio for regular 'matchday sausage' updates.

Oh, and let's hope the Rhinos play how they can as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment